Tuesday 7 August 2012

Paper Rolling - Part II

I told you yesterday how thrilled I was to be asked to be the Guest Designer for The Scrapping Bug in Kitchener this month.
When Joanne asked me to hijack the blog too I need a few days to think about what I wanted to share with all the Bug Blog readers. Without much effort I decided to let readers in on one of the easiest techniques I know - Paper Rolling.
I shared the basic steps over at the Bug Blog this morning and added a few more samples and layouts using the same techniques here.
So be sure to check out Paper Rolling - Part I over there, then come back here for some more inspiration.
'Boy' by Janette Kincaid
I used the same paper rolling technique on my ‘Boy’ layout. I started with a 12x12 sheet of brown cardstock for my base; then cut a 10x10 square out of the middle of the of the Bo-Bunny patterned paper.
I reassembled and adhered the patterned paper to the brown base again making sure to keep the adhesive away from the edges.
I used the water and foam brush to soften the paper and roll the edges with my fingers just like I did in the 'Dreamer' example on The Scrapping Bug blog.
The only difference this time around; I rolled both the inside and the outside edges of the cut out square.
Doing this revealed the brown cardstock; it peeks through where the curls roll back. And just like the 'Dreamer' layout I ran the page through the sewing machine after the rolling was dry creating a sewn border on both the outside and inside square.
Here are some other projects where I’ve used the same technique; sometimes on all the edges, sometimes on just a feature edge.

'Mexico' by Janette Kincaid

In this layout the base paper and the textured patterned paper are the same colour so the paper rolling helps to subtly distinguish the separation.
'How Do You Make Maple Syrup?' by Janette Kincaid
The purple cardstock in this layout has been rolled using this same technique. It’s layered over the taupe cardstock and the base patterned paper.
'Quality Time' by Janette Kincaid
The large squares of light coloured notebook paper have been rolled here.
'Forever' by Janette Kincaid
The base papers on this double page layout have been rolled and distressed with sandpaper and ink; 

Thanks again to Joanne and the rest of The Scrapping Bug Team for inviting me to be part of their Blog and the Guest Designer for the month.
Stay tuned for the layouts I completed with the August kit the so generously sent me and maybe (if you're lucky) another chance to hijack the blog!! {wink}
Enjoy,
~J

No comments:

Post a Comment